Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey Soup



With the nutritional value high and the cost low, why am I not taking better advantage of beef or chicken stock?

Sally Fallon writes .. 
Science validates what our grandmothers knew. Rich homemade chicken broths help cure colds. Stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain.

I used our Thanksgiving turkey for broth this weekend. I just put the whole thing in the pan, covered it with water and simmered it for a lot of hours. The flavor is amazing. I think it's particularly good because the turkey had been seasoned for baking.



After the cooking, I separated the stock from the bones, put the stock in the fridge. In the fridge the fat rose to the top. I skimmed off the fat. Lastly, I poured the stock onto the pot of vegetables and some of the turkey meat and now I am cooking it on low.

 I got a lot of meat from the bones (time consuming, not sure about nutrition/time spent ratio)
I have meat for enchiladas and turkey salad for sandwiches.







Tomorrow is soup Sunday and we are having folks over. This soup, that will feed many folks, basically cost me 10 carrots, 1 onion, 2 celery stalks with leaves and tomorrow I will put in frozen corn.

Not bad for a throw away turkey.



For additional information here is a website .. http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/broth-is-beautiful

3 comments:

  1. Throw away turkey... so many people don't know about this.
    I wonder if we can get other bones from the butcher for cheap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about it. Do you have a butcher? The grocery store gets the meat cut up without much waste - or so I have been told.

    ReplyDelete